Debate has started following the tragic story of a baby strangled by the necklaces, yet still we see many babies with these dangerous necklaces on.

A US mother is suing Etsy after her son was sadly strangled by an amber teething necklace purchased from the popular online store.

Deacon Morin was found unresponsive at a childcare centre on December 10, 2016. It is alleged he was strangled to death when the teething necklace he was wearing tightened and did not release as advertised. (read more here)

Despite the lack of real evidence the amber beads have any effect on the body whatsoever, anecdotally, many families report seeing an improvement in the symptoms of teething when using the necklaces.

We asked mums how they felt about amber necklaces and got some very mixed responses.

In our Facebook poll with over 3100 votes the huge consensus was a NO to using them.

With 76% of voters saying no, compared to 24% saying yes they would still use one.

One mum said, “They’re a lot like every other baby product out there. When used correctly, they are fine. When used incorrectly, they can be dangerous. My son had a bracelet/anklet and I don’t think it did anything for him, but I’ve had many people swear by them being their saving grace for teething kids. It’s an each to their own scenario, just like everything else.”

Another mum agreed, “When used correctly they are safe. The issue is when they aren’t used correctly. Kids drowned in pools every summer. Those drownings are preventable too but you don’t see people not using pools because of it.”

Another said, “I don’t use the necklaces but I use the anklets and they are amazing and I strongly believe in them.”

Another agreed, “I don’t believe in amber necklaces due to safety, but I do love and believe in amber bracelets/anklets.”

Another admitted, “I wouldn’t put any type of necklace around a babies neck, no matter what it promised to do!”

“Would never and will never use them”

“Think it’s a load of rubbish.”

“Kids choke from hot dogs grapes and fall from walkers. Car seats aren’t infallible either. It’s all about using. The product properly and I don’t know if it helps. All I know is that she’s not screaming when she chomps now so I’ll take whatever it’s doing if it helps her.”

“There is no scientific evidence that these necklaces actually do anything. Sad that babies are losing their lives due to them.”

Red Nose Australia does not recommend the product saying,  “They do not recommend placing anything around the neck of a sleeping baby as this could tighten during sleep and make breathing difficult and may even strangle baby.”

“Furthermore, strings of beads could break and individual beads could end up in a baby’s mouth, presenting a choking hazard.”

Consumers using this product are advised to:

  • always supervise the infant when wearing the necklace or bracelet
  • remove the necklace or bracelet when the infant is unattended, even if it is only for a short period of time
  • remove the necklace or bracelet while the infant sleeps at day or night not allow the infant to mouth or chew the necklace or bracelet
    consider using alternate forms of pain relief
  • seek medical advice if you have concerns about your child’s health and wellbeing.

Do you think they are a dangerous risk?

Share your comments below


  • Anything around the neck is dangerous, kids donno how to untie them. Just like any pillows or stuffed toys are dangerous around cot. You’re not there with them 24 hrs so dun leave them with dangerous things.

    Reply


  • Yep but it really isn’t rocket scientist allowing babies to have something along their neck is an obvious risk

    Reply


  • Yes. Clearly parents don’t use common sense when it comes to these. So take them away.

    Reply


  • They make me uneasy. I tried most things to get teething relief but didn’t feel comfortable with these even after they were recommended.

    Reply


  • Yes I think they are dangerous I don’t like them

    Reply


  • I hadn’t heard any bad stories about them – but then I also haven’t heard anything positive either. I just don’t think they would work to even bother.

    Reply


  • Absolutely they are a dangerous risk. Get rid of them!

    Reply


  • These weren’t around when my child was a baby, and not really something I would consider. EVER.

    Reply


  • Another completely unnecessary gimmick! Never understood why people use them.

    Reply


  • How very sad. I never put anything around my babies necks, I was so paranoid.

    Reply


  • Very sad but preventable. I never put anything around my little ones neck when they were babies, just a choking hazard & no scientific evidence that these things work. A frozen carrot stick or icy pole would do the same trick with less severe consequences.

    Reply


  • I never used them, don’t see the point, but doesn’t it just boil down to that the child who died was not being supervised correctly? How on earth can that happen in a childcare center, she should be suing them not etsy.

    Reply


  • Very dangerous to put anything like that around a baby’s neck. Would never have used them myself.

    Reply


  • Do not believe in them. My son used one on his daughter last year and he thought it worked. Was offered them for my younger children who are 6 now and did not like them having anything on their necks.

    Reply


  • I think they still have a purpose but they need to be regulated

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join