Good Friday and Easter Monday remain public holidays, but many retailers are still choosing to open their doors…

The ability to pop down to the local supermarket at any moment is a convenience that most of us rely on to get us through the week, so the thought of running out of essentials over the Easter long weekend is enough to strike fear into the hearts of most parents. A growing number of retailers are choosing to keep their doors open, despite official public holidays, leading many to ask if shops should stay open over the Easter break.

A Growing Demand

It was announced this week that Adelaide retailers will now be allowed to trade on Easter Monday in response to growing consumer demand Ragtrader reports. David Stout, National Retail Association Manager of Policy, says the move brings the South Australian city in line with other major centres around the country. “Retailers across Adelaide are delighted that the shackles have been removed and they will be able to trade on Easter Monday for the first time ever,” he said. “There has been a massive demand for the existing trading hours laws to become more flexible.” Good Friday remains a restricted trading day, with most major retailers closed, making the Saturday of the long weekend particularly busy at most shopping centres.

Different Reasons

While the Easter long weekend and corresponding public holidays have religious significance for Christians, many non-believers and those of differing faiths say they don’t have an issue with reduced trading hours. “I don’t celebrate it as a religious holiday but it is just one of a handful of days each year where things are shut. So what?” one consumer posted on Whirlpool.  “I think you should be much more concerned about why you can’t plan your life a mere 24 hours ahead.” “I love how people complain that shops should be open, but I bet they would complain if they had to go to work today as well!” said another.

This debate is a tricky one, but we think most people are happy to accept a couple of days without shopping for a long weekend, regardless of what significance it holds for them.

Do you think shops should be open throughout the Easter long weekend? Let us know in the comments.

• No. We could all survive for a few days if the shops being closed.. there are always the little 7/11 stores… you pay more but that is expected for the convenience

• What happened to the time when shops were closed on Sunday.?

• It makes me laugh that people aren’t capable of preparing for the shops being closed for one day.

• Christmas and Easter is a time for families and I encourage stores to close or run on skeleton staffing arrangements.

• I think it’s just nice for everyone who works in the shops to all have a day off, people can plan ahead and buy things they need for the day or two that they are closed for.

In saying that, some people don’t mind working those days, so in that case it would be fine to have the shops open.

• We always do our weekly shops on saturdays or sundays so we should be ok

• I don’t think shops should be open, plain and simple plan ahead

• Good idea if you cdrbsespebut I plan ahead shoc so theses no need for me to go to the shops

• If u don’t want to work, why should others. Plan ahead.

• I don’t go to the shops on public holidays. I feel sorry for the staff that are forced to work on those days.

• No way and I certainly don’t think shops should be open any public holidays Easter and Christmas shops aren’t going to disappear people are still going to spend money I feel sorry for the people who have to work and want to spend time with family

• As someone who worked in retail, I can tell you working public holidays suck and every year hoped head office would say “No trading this public holiday”.
    As a full time or part time employee, you often do not get the choice of whether you are working or not, it all depends whether the holiday falls on your “ordinary day off”. Sure you get paid more for working the public holiday, but here is the massive downside.
    Christmas Day in particular, you can’t go away because you have to go to work on Boxing Day, so if you have a family get together that is far away(aka another state), you are not going to see them. Then on the day after a public holiday, it’s always mania. Customers are anxious and short tempered, not all I will admit, but enough to make the day miserable. But meanwhile you have to stay cool, calm and happy to deal with every customer, even the most trying. All the while, missing out on quality time with family.
    BTW retail workers usually have a restriction that they can’t go on leave during holiday periods, so they have to hope they can organise family get togethers when no one else normally takes a break.
    Now I know Nurses and Doctors have it worse, it’s them I feel for the most.
    So yes, I say think stores should close for the public holidays. With most stores being open 7 days a week and click and collect at many stores, no matter what job you do, there would be an option to do your shopping during non public holiday days.

• They are entitled to time off, a holiday, whatever they want. We can survive without shopping for a weekend. Just get things that your likely to run out of ahead of time

• Exactly! Most people will have supplies in the pantry and in the fridge.

• Closed good Friday and Easter Sunday but the Monday is a day in lieu not religious

• People should be able to go 2 separate days without going to the shops!