Good Friday and Easter Monday remain public holidays, but many retailers are still choosing to open their doors…

The ability to pop down to the local supermarket at any moment is a convenience that most of us rely on to get us through the week, so the thought of running out of essentials over the Easter long weekend is enough to strike fear into the hearts of most parents. A growing number of retailers are choosing to keep their doors open, despite official public holidays, leading many to ask if shops should stay open over the Easter break.

A Growing Demand

It was announced this week that Adelaide retailers will now be allowed to trade on Easter Monday in response to growing consumer demand Ragtrader reports. David Stout, National Retail Association Manager of Policy, says the move brings the South Australian city in line with other major centres around the country. “Retailers across Adelaide are delighted that the shackles have been removed and they will be able to trade on Easter Monday for the first time ever,” he said. “There has been a massive demand for the existing trading hours laws to become more flexible.” Good Friday remains a restricted trading day, with most major retailers closed, making the Saturday of the long weekend particularly busy at most shopping centres.

Different Reasons

While the Easter long weekend and corresponding public holidays have religious significance for Christians, many non-believers and those of differing faiths say they don’t have an issue with reduced trading hours. “I don’t celebrate it as a religious holiday but it is just one of a handful of days each year where things are shut. So what?” one consumer posted on Whirlpool.  “I think you should be much more concerned about why you can’t plan your life a mere 24 hours ahead.” “I love how people complain that shops should be open, but I bet they would complain if they had to go to work today as well!” said another.

This debate is a tricky one, but we think most people are happy to accept a couple of days without shopping for a long weekend, regardless of what significance it holds for them.

Do you think shops should be open throughout the Easter long weekend? Let us know in the comments.

• The expectations of the costumors are now a day high. Shops need to be open all the time and when a shop closes for 1 or 2 days we are hardly able to cope. I have no problem with being organised and cope with what I have at home for more then 2 days. And I love to spend time with family and friends on days like Easter, Christmas and New year. No need for me to rush to the shop.
    When a business makes the choice to be open on these days that is their own choice, but it will affect the expectations they have to their staff (who in their turn have made the choice for this job) but it also affects the concurrent (when a shop opens, others may want to follow in answer to the increasing demand).

• yes they should if they want to, we should not enforce a religious holiday on anyone and if we do choose a Christian holiday then all religious holidays should be as well, and before anyone complains, I am a Christian

• If the staff wants to work during the long weekend, I’m sure there would be people going shopping also on those days.

• We plan ahead and it does not impact us.
    We like the quietness of Easter.

• I’m working Easter Sunday and Monday, doesn’t worry me one bit

• It may not be viable for all shops to be open, and I respect that there are a lot of people that don’t celebrate Easter so it’s more each to their own on this one.

• Some small country shops find it is not viable to open every day over Easter. Even on ordinary weekends some close for at least part of Sunday. During that time they often do additional maintenance, accounts etc. It also allows those with families to spend time with them.

• As long as staff aren’t bullied into working I couldn’t care less if shops open or not.

• I think it should be up to retailers, but I have no problem with the closure.

• Good Friday shops are always closed but the rest of Easter they should be open.

• I don’t think they should be open. People need to plan better and shop better and then they wouldn’t need the stores 24/7. I feel sorry for the staff who don’t get to spend Easter with loved ones because they have to work

• NO simple as that,all people saying it doesn’t worry them or I dont care if I have to work may actually not care, many not having people to visit,family time etc. Just because someone doesnt celebrate Easter it shouldn’t ruin it for the ones who do. Bosses do and will force staff to work meaning those who always go stay with family or only see Nan or aunts at these events miss out. Those with young children may miss out on bubs first Easter or the only family getaway they get a year all because everyone else is spending time with family and need to fill their time so they all go shopping. It is never a necessity for shops to be open on these days. I work every Easter by choice. My family complain but I have to as my Business is in demand these times. I however do not believe that people should lose their days off because people can’t plan their lives better and feel or have compassion for others.

• I think it’s completely up to the individual stores whether they stay open or not. A lot do but some don’t. We are rural and the only day of the year you find our local shops closed is Christmas Day. Even then, they open for an hour or two in the morning for emergencies. Where we live, there are no longer oenalty rates, so employers might find it hard finding workers for public holidays