An Australian supermarket has banned staff from handing out smiley fritz to children over ‘slip hazard’ fears.

Foodland’s store in South Australia’s Barossa Valley placed a sign on its meat display counter this week, telling customers the enduring tradition was over, shared Daily Mail.

‘Due to slip hazards, we are no longer able to give out any smiley fritz to children,’ the sign read.

foodland

The store said the ban was in place because a customer bumped her head after slipping on a fritz piece a child had dropped on January 3, The Advertiser reported.

The woman was not injured and didn’t require medical treatment.

A Labor member of South Australian parliament, took to Facebook to label the move ‘ridiculous’.

‘First it was the Bunnings snag on onion saga – now Foodland has put a frown on smiley fritz banning its gifting to small children due to ”slip hazards”,’ she wrote. ‘All jokes aside… I think it’s ridiculous.’

Foodland’s head office was not involved in the decision, but respected the store’s right to make it, it is understood.

Some locals have argued against the decision saying:

‘I would imagine 99.9 per cent of South Aussies have a childhood memory of getting fritz at a supermarket,’ he said.

‘It’s worse than the onion saga at Bunnings.’

Another told Seven News: ‘It’s something that children grew up with years ago, going to the deli and getting their free smiley fritz, but it’s no longer. It’s sad.’

Share your comments below

• I can see why but people should clean up after themselves if they drop something!

• Really?
    Everything is getting banned.
    How about if people actually pick up their food mess instead of just leaving it there.

• Slipping on a piece of meat ? I’m glad Woollies didn’t stop free fruit yet, as we could slip on a banana peel…

• I never knew this was even a thing for kids! But I can see how an accident could be so much more costly.

• This is just sad. I understand their point of view, it is a health and safety thing and the lady is lucky she wasn’t hurt. But really it should b the parents responsibility to make sure any bits that are dropped are cleaned up! Supermarkets constantly have food on the floor. Something not put on the shelf correctly that has fallen off, kids with snacks from home, fruit that has fallen etc. they can’t ban food from coming in so banning a food item that may or may not have been given to a child that day does seem a bit pointless!

• We were given as slice of bung fritz, cut thicker than Smiley Fritz normally is and it didn’t fall apart in our hands and get dropped. I can understand the Supermarket has a duty of care to all its customers from baby to elderly.
    Unlike large national supermarket groups Foodland Supermarkets are ALL independently owned. They can’t internally transfer funds from one store to another to cover huge costs such may have occurred as a result of thus accident. I hope the lady makes a speedy permanent recovery

• I didn’t even realise shops still did this. Our local butcher when I was a kid did it until you grew higher then the counter

• I can see both points of view here. You can’t really blame the supermarket.

• oh my gosh that is aweful!!!
    I always use smiley fritz to help me get through the shopping so much so my youngest says when she gets to the service deli smiley please to whoever is serving us!

• What a shame however my kids never received a slice of fritz so not sure how many supermarkets still did this anyway?

• I have never got any free meats fro my local deli so not sure what the story is about .

• I guess you have to be south Australian to really understand this one.