Pack your family in the car and head out for a magical night of Christmas light spotting, that’s sure to get you in the Christmas spirit!
Putting up the Christmas tree, writing Santa letters and spending time with family and friends – Christmas really is the best time of the year. If you don’t have that festive Christmas feeling just yet, then there’s nothing quite like packing the family in the car and going for a drive to see some incredible Christmas light displays. No matter what state you’re in, we’ve got the lowdown on the best places to see Christmas lights around your capital city. So what are you waiting for?
The harbour city is known for putting on a show for New Year’s Eve, but it’s also one of the best places to catch an incredible Christmas light display. There are winning houses in every direction, so you really can’t go wrong, but here are our top picks from around the city:
- Matraville - Barwon Crescent, Gwydir Avenue, Knowles Street, Flanders Avenue & Franklin Street
- St Clair - Benaud Street (Mona and her family continue this display, against all the odds. It’s a popular one!)
- Concord – 191 Burwood Road (this display has been going for 20 years!)
- Hornsby – Sydney Street (more than 50 houses get in the spirit)
- Davidson – 10 Cambage Court (supports three incredible charities and is out of this world!
For those of you in the beautiful city of Perth, Christmas on the west coast is just as festive! There are countless suburbs with top notch Christmas light displays, but here are a few of our favourites:
- Currumbine - 12 Newmarket Retreat (raising money for Autism, WA)
- Carramar - 2 Sherlock Rise (this one is interactive!)
- Morley – 22 Marriott Way (this display has been going for almost 30 years!)
- Meadow Springs – 8 Meadow Springs Drive (people’s choice winner from last year)
- Aubin Grove – 267 Lyon Road (raising money for another great cause, Perth Children’s Hospital)
Melbourne gives the other capital cities a serious run for their money in the Christmas lights department. With dozens of streets around the city that are totally ‘lit’ (see what we did there) you’ll be spoilt for choice – we certainly were! Here are the best of the best:
- Preston - Tennyson Avenue (there are a couple of houses here that are simply dazzling)
- Mulgrave - Lebanon Crescent (#11 has more than 100,000 lights)
- Parkdale - Vialls Avenue (more and more houses get involved every year)
- Beaumaris - Dalgetty Road (you can walk through #51)
- Hoppers Crossing - Bellbridge Drive (a must visit at this time of the year!)
The sunshine state can do Christmas just as well as the rest of them, even if the weather is 30C + everyday and it’s the season of surf, sand and sun rather than snow, mistletoe and mulled wine. Their light displays are pretty amazing too. Check them out:
- Albany Creek – 10 Jagora Drive (a super festive display in the north of the city)
- Upper Mount Gravatt – 74 Lidwall Street (walk in display for all the family)
- Jindalee - 18 Mankinna Street (you can get a photo in a sleigh at this one!)
- Victoria Point – 12 Prescoter Drive (in support of Kitten Kapers and Redlands Animal Shelter)
- North Ipswich - Blackwood Avenue (a whole street of magic and festive cheer!)
South Australia has bucketloads of Christmas spirit and, each year, more and more houses set about creating quality Christmas light displays that will have you and your kids swept up in the magic of the festive season. Enjoy the warm summer evenings and check out our top picks from a very long list:
- Banksia Park - Nunyah Drive (the whole street gets involved!)
- St Peters - Ninth Avenue (another street well worth a look)
- Thebarton - West End Brewery Riverbank Lights (runs for the whole month of December)
- Reynella - Aralia Court (Santa might even stop by for a visit!)
- Lobethal Valley - Lights of Lobethal (800 homes light up the valley from December 9)
Gold Coast, QLD
TripleM have put together an incredible interactive map that is your ultimate guide to the best light displays on the Gold Coast. Before you head off, give the kids a map and get them to put a Christmas sticker on each one you visit!
If you’re in Tasmania, fear not! Christmas Lights in Tasmania is your go-to Facebook page for planning your tour around the incredible light displays on offer. Best of all, it’s constantly being updated so you’ll be the first to know about any new locations!
So turn off the TV for the evening, get some Christmas carols playing and have a wholesome family evening celebrating the generosity, talent and festive spirit of your community!
Do you know an amazing Christmas lights display near you? Share it in the comments!