Every parent knows how challenging it can be to travel with kids – especially if long-haul flights are involved.

Janeece Keller CEO of Bound Round – a travel content platform by kids, for kids – says: “My job frequently gives me the opportunity to travel overseas with tweens, so I know first-hand how valuable family travel tips and recommendations are.”

Secrets from those in the know – such as experienced mums and dads – can provide really great insights for fun and enriching travel with children.

With this in mind, Bound Round has crowd-sourced top tips from mothers across Australia on how to plan the most stress-free and kid-friendly vacations.

Check out some of these hard-earned pearls of wisdom to help you with your own holiday planning:

1) DIY travel journal

Inspire a future travel writer with a blank notebook. Melissa Jeffcott, a mother of three from Melbourne, recommends: “Get your kids a travel journal where they can write a few words and record their memories by sticking in stuff like entry tickets and postcards.”

If you’d prefer to avoid potential glue stick disasters while travelling, your kids might fare better with a digital version. The Bound Round travel app includes an e-journal feature which lets kids upload photos, and they can then email their travel journal to their teacher, friends or family.

2) Keep them busy

Long plane trips can mean bored, tired or overstimulated kids.

As a mother who has gone on 11 international holidays with children, Leann Middlemass suggests: “When travelling on a plane, always bring pencils, small board games or puzzles.”

3) Prepare for medical emergencies

Children are more likely to be great travel companions if they’re feeling hale and hearty.

Mary Dawes, a Sydney mother of four (with one on the way), advises: “Always pack medications that may not be available at your travel destination, particularly children’s Panadol or Nurofen. If it’s tried and tested at home, it’s always better to take it from home, rather than risk trying something different while away.”

4) ‘Bribe’ them

Sometimes a simple reward works wonders. Melbourne mum Melissa Jeffcott admits: “I keep a large supply of Dollars/Pounds/Euros handy for bribing them – with ice cream!”

5) Be organised

Travelling with children can be exciting and enriching – especially if you’re organised.

Susanne Thiebe, mother of three boys, notes: “I’ve travelled overseas on my own with a 5 year old, a 3 year old and a 4 month old – I survived and actually enjoyed it! I think the secret is in being organised – know what to expect and prepare for the worst so nothing surprises you.”

Keeping the whole family involved in organising the holiday is another way to build excitement ahead of a trip and helps ensure you’ve got everything covered.

Pick up a copy of Lonely Planet’s ‘Not For Parents’ book to educate your kids about your destination, or get them to create their own travel itinerary with Bound Round and explore the different kid-friendly activities available at your destination.

Do you have any other travel tips to add to these? Please share with us in the comments below.

Image courtesy of Shutterstock.com

Biostime

• Thank you for the helpful tips.

• Good sound information here – and be prepared for those earaches either on take off or preparing to land. Have chewing gum handy and menthol on a hankie for them to breathe in.

• Great tips for travelling! Very good!

• i can highly recommend not to over pack, I took so much toys and snacs on the plane when we had a 22 hour flight, I dint use half of it, be prepared for travel sickness but not overly and also kids don’t always use all the pillows and blankets you take as the airline give them one on the plane and we all know kids love everything else but what we packed lol

• Travelling with our kids resulted in the the Teddy Bear Passport being created. It helped our Orlando feel more comfortable and less anxious, being responsible for his best friend, Bearbe and feel more confident when they take on new adventures. There are Australian, UK and USA Passports. http://www.teddybearpassport.com

• We are taking our kids to Bali in 5 years. I’m excited get nervous at the same time!

• Thanks for the tips.
    We’ve found that one of the best things to help when travelling with a baby is the Flybabee – http://www.facebook.com/flybabee
    It’s awesome for blocking out the distractions on a plane, fits perfectly over a bassinet and helps you and baby get a good sleep.
    Also works perfectly over the pram at other times. Love it!

• Great tips thanks for sharing

• Travelling next month for first time and appreciate all tips

• my tip is take a spare top and bottoms for YOU on the flight as I have been vomited on, had drinks spilt over, Food (from the flight attendant) accidentally tipped onto me etc etc. We always pack for the baby but often forget spare clothes for ourselves. Travelling covered in vomit on a 14 hour flight is not recommended!

• I make sure I take a change of clothes for the kids in carry-on – and one for me! After having a leaking nappy and a vomiting child I’ve learnt!

• overseas travel

• Thanks for sharing.

• Lke it

• Hmmm, I think good luck to anyone that travels overseas with young children :)

• It can be so much fun and a wonderful family experience to remember forever.

• It definitely can be challenging! But with some forward planning (and being creative on the fly) can go a long way to smoothing the road. The world is our greatest teacher!