November 22, 2017

A UK woman warns over the dangers of using oils after suffering chemical burns from her diffuser.

In a viral Facebook post, 24-year-old Emily Smith, detailed the horrific chemical burns she suffered.

“I walked over to the diffuser and held the button down for a number of seconds (as this is the way to shut it off),” she wrote.

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

15
Olay Regenerist Luminous Tone Perfecting Daily Treatment

Submitting your rating…

“In the process, some of the vapour from the diffuser must have sprayed onto my face, but I didn’t think anything of this. Whilst I was somewhat aware of the danger of getting essential oils directly on my skin, I was unaware that the vaporised ‘diluted’ oil from my diffuser could also be dangerous. ”

It wasn’t until later when she was adding a log to her open fire, that she knew something was terribly wrong.

“I got up to put a log on the fire. Immediately, I felt a stinging sensation on my face but due to the fact that my body never came into direct contact with the flames, combined with my ignorance about the nature and danger of the oils my skin had come into contact with, I didn’t put two and two together.”

“After my burns were assessed and treated, a chemical burn was diagnosed.”





diffuser burns

“All in all, the process took over 12 hours and in that time I was able to do some reflection and research. By then I had realised the link between the diffuser spraying on my face and what had happened. I discovered the real danger of these essential oils, and realised that when the diffuser had sprayed onto me, essential oils had soaked onto my face and eyes and remained there. When exposed to the fire, these had a chemical reaction and ‘ignited’. Had I realised this earlier, I might have been given priority at the hospital, and treated faster.”

“I’m left wondering how many people realise the danger they are potentially putting before them. Our popular electric diffuser says ‘safe for use around children and pets’. From my experience, I would say this is not necessarily true.

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

skyr_strawberry_500x500
Woolworths Icelandic Style Skyr Yoghurt Strawberry 170g

Submitting your rating…

“We bought ours online, alongside the oils and there was no age verification needed. How many teenagers, or young people have bought them for themselves, or their friends seeing how trendy they are? I probably might have had one as a teen, and smoked a cigarette out of the window, not realising the implications…”

Her post has been shared over 7800 times.

She wants people to know, “I’m not saying that people should stop buying and using diffusers, or essential oils, although I personally will not be around them again. I’m not saying that there is a likelihood of this happening to you. But there is a risk and you need to know about it. If you’ve read this post, you know to be cautious.”

It certainly pays to always be aware of any possible risks. Especially if you have a diffuser around children.

Share your comments below.

Getty image


  • Most types of oils are dangerous when they get hot. They stick to your skin if they get on it, especially in a warm or hot atmosphere.

    Reply


  • Ouch! That looks nasty! Not an issue for me because I don’t use them. Its good she’s getting it out there to warn other people though.

    Reply


  • I would have never thought oils could do so much damage – I hope she fully recovers and so grateful for the warning!

    Reply


  • Far out, that nasty burn just from oil splashing on you. Good thing I don’t have one of those.

    Reply


  • Ouch, that looks very sore ! What a scary experience ! Good on her for warning others.

    Reply


  • Well she knows for the future and it might heed a warning to others to be a bit more careful.
    Personally diffusers, incense, perfumes, sprays, candles, and even soaps with fragrance trigger migraines and breathing difficulties so none of that in this household to worry about.

    Reply


  • I hate oil burners of any type, not only the danger but the smell gives me migraines

    Reply


  • Very painful photos,hopefully she will recover from the burns and wishing her all the best.

    Reply


  • The burn looks awful and painful. It is good of her to warn people about a possible risk.

    Reply


  • Oh, that’s a terrible burn, poor woman. I would have imagined that was possible. Very risky!!

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join