Her husband believes that the diet is not providing her with the nutrients she needs during her pregnancy.

A mum-to-be has taken to Mumsnet to express her frustration after her husband asked her to stop eating vegan while pregnant. The mum says she has never had any health issues as a result of being a vegan and growing up in a vegan family, but her husband is still concerned that she isn’t getting the nutrients she needs for a healthy pregnancy.

A Lifelong Commitment

The mum says that she has always eaten a healthy, balanced vegan diet, even as a child. “My parents are vegans and my siblings are,” she wrote. “My husband is mainly a vegan as I do the food shopping and cooking. My husband has upset me by going against something which is obviously a huge part of my life.” In her post, the mum-to-be said that her husband’s constant hints that she should eat meat were starting to really upset her. While she admitted that she didn’t know how pregnancy might affect her, the mum also said she had never had a problem with iron levels or other nutrient deficiencies before.

Ask The Experts

Comments on the post were divided, but most were in favour of the mum’s decision to continue eating a vegan diet. “If you’re a lifelong vegan, then you can actually make yourself ill to suddenly eat meat,” said one response. “Maybe if you had your iron levels checked it would put his mind at ease,” suggested another. Some responses, however, said they understood her husband’s worry. “I think he has good intentions and I don’t think he’s being unreasonable to bring it up,” said one. “For peace of mind ask your doctor.”

As with any decision during pregnancy, it’s always a good idea to keep your midwife or doctor in the loop so they can offer you their advice and reassurance – better safe than sorry!

Did you eat a vegan diet during your pregnancy? Share your story in the comments.

• im not vegan, but I would get blood test checked out and give it to her partner for his peace of mind if hes happy to do that. cant force someone to eat something that she doesn’t want. il be pissed off if my partner did that to me. I would rather work around something like blood test would be my number 1.

• Is she getting all of the nutrients? It’s so important.

• i have some vegan friends who are very healthy and if this lady is healthy and baby is good, no need to do anything different

• This is such a beautiful blog that I read. This is so powerful to gain our mind to realize and think critically. Hope you like my own opinion, because this is make me crazy and feel the blog. I would like to thank you to share your blog and if you want Best Coupon Deals in Australia, Please visit my link Curtain Singapore. Hope you like it and God Bless to you!

• Definitely do blood check to see if levels are fine. Supplements may be her better option to ensure it remains at a steady level

• If she’s not ill then I don’t see why she would need to change her diet

• He knew she was vegan before she became pregnant. It’s not right to ask her to change, especially if all blood tests and ultrasounds are coming back fine.

• I think she knows what is best for her body and if she and her dr think it is ok then fine.

• If her GP thinks it is fine and all checks are in place – then further discussion and maybe information for dad to be to have on hand.

• Take him on a trip to the doctors with you and get him to ask all the questions he needs, you can never be too informed, doc might have some suggestions to that haven’t been thought of before that could help him see your point of view or you his point of view

• It looks like a very big request to me. Quite unconsidered but ask a vegan person to eat meat.

• I’m sure you have been seeing a GP and if there were any problems I’m sure he’d let you know.

• I’m not vegan, but vegetarian. But a good balanced vegan diet should be ok also during pregnancy, The fact that she had never had a problem with iron levels or other nutrient deficiencies before proves she is considerate and responsible towards the needs of her body. She might chose to keep an extra check on that during her pregnancy
    I can understand this lady isn’t going to change her diet where so so believes in. I was told by a nurse to eat a piece of steak after delivery, I didn’t.

• A GP will give the best advice for health and diet during pregnancy.

• Sounds like a caring and concerned hubby, get a blood test to check all levels to help out his mind at ease.

• Sounds like he is simply concerned.