Her husband believes that the diet is not providing her with the nutrients she needs during her pregnancy.

A mum-to-be has taken to Mumsnet to express her frustration after her husband asked her to stop eating vegan while pregnant. The mum says she has never had any health issues as a result of being a vegan and growing up in a vegan family, but her husband is still concerned that she isn’t getting the nutrients she needs for a healthy pregnancy.

A Lifelong Commitment

The mum says that she has always eaten a healthy, balanced vegan diet, even as a child. “My parents are vegans and my siblings are,” she wrote. “My husband is mainly a vegan as I do the food shopping and cooking. My husband has upset me by going against something which is obviously a huge part of my life.” In her post, the mum-to-be said that her husband’s constant hints that she should eat meat were starting to really upset her. While she admitted that she didn’t know how pregnancy might affect her, the mum also said she had never had a problem with iron levels or other nutrient deficiencies before.

Ask The Experts

Comments on the post were divided, but most were in favour of the mum’s decision to continue eating a vegan diet. “If you’re a lifelong vegan, then you can actually make yourself ill to suddenly eat meat,” said one response. “Maybe if you had your iron levels checked it would put his mind at ease,” suggested another. Some responses, however, said they understood her husband’s worry. “I think he has good intentions and I don’t think he’s being unreasonable to bring it up,” said one. “For peace of mind ask your doctor.”

As with any decision during pregnancy, it’s always a good idea to keep your midwife or doctor in the loop so they can offer you their advice and reassurance – better safe than sorry!

Did you eat a vegan diet during your pregnancy? Share your story in the comments.

• He is just concerned for the baby but a vegan diet is extremely healthy!

• A lot of people believe you need meat in your diet, it isn’t unreasonable for him to ask the question. I know people who are vegans and have had healthy pregnancies. Just like everyone else, you need to make sure you are eating the right nutrients.

• There must be an underlying reason why the husband wants her to eat meat. However if bubs us growing well and mum is doing well no need to change anything.

• If her doctor is ok with it then its nobody’s business. She will have to be very careful after bub is born though. We’ve seen enough stories here about vegans who accidentally nearly killed their children by starving them.

• I don’t think he’s unreasonable to bring it up. She should check with her doctor – she may not need meat, but she may need to modify her diet in other ways.

• Surely if they went to their doctors together they would find out the facts as to whether she can go through the pregnancy safety. If she gets the go ahead from the doctor there shouldn’t be an issue

• babies do need a range of nutrients – however if she is vegan and is getting regular checkups to ensure levels are ok there is no reason why she can’t stay away from meat. I can understand the husbands concern though

• No did not do a vegan diet during of my pregnancies. As long as you are healthy and both mother and baby are doing alright it should be ok. I still had a iron problem with eating meat.

• He’s worried about her health and the babies he’s a good husband

• I’m not a vegan, and don’t know enough about eating a vegan diet in pregnancy to really comment, but maybe the hubby and wife should go to a Dr’s together and discuss it there to get the facts and actual correct information. Maybe the wife will be right and the hubby will reslise she sin’t doing any harm at all

• No, I ate my normal diet during pregnancy, just a lot healthier. I’ve never been vegan. I have seen some worrying stories of vegan parents feeding new babies and toddlers a vegan diet that hasn’t ended well at all for the kids!

• I have seen stories of meat eaters not feeding their kids properly too, why zoom in on vegans, all types of diets have people who do not do the right thing. Some vegans eat junk food some don’t, some meat eaters don’t eat fruit and veg, others do, health is dependent on getting all your nutrients no matter what the source, but wholefood with variety is best, vegan or not.