Phew.  I’ve just been reading over the (over 1000) comments that appeared in response to Mia Freedman’s article about her interview with Jacinta Tynan after ‘that article’ that ran on Jacinta’s positive response to being a Mum.  Regardless of what you thought of Jacinta’s views on mothering, I was gobsmacked to read how some of the comments belittled what many of us talk about as Mummy Bloggers. Basically some of the comments slammed mums for discussing our kids, our daily lives as mums and some of the smaller things that make our lives easier.

So, at the risk of unleashing the angries that spend time on parenting and mummy blogs – not to appreciate but to berate – I wanted to share my excitement about a very basic little kitchen aid I discovered this weekend.  The OVEN BAG.  I have clear memories of this as a child featuring in the kitchens of many of my friends however have never used one myself.

However I have to say “Where have you been all my life?”  I have found a new love.  Yesterday afternoon I had a whole chicken and knowing how much my kids love a roast chicken I went to do my usual – garlic, lemon, butter and oregano but found I was missing two of the four ingredients.  Rifling through the back of the pantry I discovered a Maggi Tender Roast Chicken flavour sachet which included a Roasting Bag. So I proceeded to sprinkle the chicken with the premade sachet, pop it into the oven bag, seal it up and then threw it into the oven.  1 hour later and I checked to find a perfectly browned, beautifully cooked and spectacularly juicy chicken – even the breasts. And so, so simple.

So, yes, not earth shattering and certainly not going to cure cancer or solve World Peace but if one other mum discovers the joy of the Oven Bag, my job in this post is done.  Happy Roasting.

p.s. Any other little tips like this we might like to know about?  Feel free (and completely unjudged) to share with us …

• Oven bags make the best garlic teriyaki marinade Tofu with minimal mess and no spattering! All the flavours are so good and the tofu tastes just right without having to baby sit a frying pan.

• yeah my mother-in-law put me onto these and she really promotes the use of them because she loves a clean house with minimal effort involved lol

• Oven bags, what a great idea. I have been using them for some time now and they cook anything you would like in less time because the flavour is sealed in. A tip also is that they help to keep your oven clean. The last time I thoroughly cleaned my oven I vowed I would not let it get that way again. Solution, I started using oven bags and my oven has been the cleanest in a long time. I highly recommend these time saving devices for both cooking and cleaning. As mums our times are prioritised in other ways and I think there would be more than one mum out there and even dads who would agree with me that oven cleaning is the pits and such a messy job unless you happen to have a self cleaning oven. I dream of Jeanie. LOL :)

• Yes, one of the best inventions out. My mum would often cook the Sunday roast in the oven bag, and if there wasn’t one in the pantry we had to ride 12kms to the local supermarket at 8am to get a packet. Fond memories, thanks for reminding me :)

• Greatest thing out and as long as the bag does not leak makes cleaning up so much easier. No oil/fat to be added but watch those juices come out of the meat.

• I don’t think oven bags have ever crossed my mind…. why not I say?!!!! Sounds great :)

• lol! Yes, I felt the love with my first oven bag experience hehee :-)

• I have used these to cook whole chicken in the microwave, probably three times and not for years but it always worked really well

• Never tried that great idea

• Oh wow I will now be using oven bags I did not realise how good and useful they can be thanks again

• It’s great when you come across a real time saving and useful item.I love oven bags myself.

• never tried that. will try as i have little kids i could tend instead of washing extra dishes

• Being using these for years love them and I cook most meat in them.

• Have been using these for years. Fantastic! As an added bonus no greasy baking dish to wash

• I’ve also used oven bags when I’ve needed clear cellophone.