Earlier this month a NSW vet issued a warning after a cat swallowed a Coles collectable and needed emergency abdominal surgery.

Animal Referral & Emergency Centre in Newcastle posted the warning on Facebook along with photos of the cat who swallowed a “Cooper Carrot” from the Coles Stikeez collection.

“Turns out not only do they encourage our children to take in their fruit and veg, but also our pets too!” the vet wrote.

“The obstruction was diagnosed by radiograph after one of our vets had a feel of Horace’s abdomen and could palpate a hard object in his intestines,” the post read.

coles-stikeez

“Horace was then taken to surgery where the mystery object was removed and identified as the Coles Stikeez Carrot.”

The vet said Horace would make a full recovery, but hoped the warning would “save another pet from the same fate”.

This week a similar thing occurred in Perth

A Perth mum has spent thousands of dollars to remove a Coles “Stickeez” toy her cat swallowed.

Lexie the kitten also managed to swallow one of the Coles collectables resulting in emergency surgery. Also a carrot!

That carrot cost the mum nearly $3000 dollars. The mum said she has since tossed all their Stikeez collection into the rubbish bin as precaution.

The message is to always be aware of small items and the dangers to both pets and small children.

 Share your comments below

Copy of BIOSTIME road tester drivers _ In Article Banner _ 712x150


  • Cats are very inquisitive animals

    Reply


  • Sadly pets do eat all sorts of things they should not – poor pets.

    Reply


  • Poor bubba. It’s unfortunate they are so tiny and easily a choking hazard to pets and kids

    Reply


  • Oh no!!! I gave a little relative of mine some to play with. I’m going to contact her Mum to make sure precautions are taken. Fortunately Missy isn’t that interested in them so they may have Already been disposed of.

    Reply


  • Coles marketing really stuffed up this time. As if anyone wanted more crappy plastic rubbish that goes straight to landfill. Now it’s at risk of being choked on by small animals and children. Woolies got it right – recyclable paper wrappers and tin tiles that can be reused, recycled and are educational.

    Reply


  • I don’t like them. I say no when they ask if I’m collecting them. I prefer the woolies alphabet tiles


    • I do collect them for the family – but show a lot of care as always with small items.

    Reply


  • It’s so easy for animals and young children to swallow little things like these.

    Reply


  • Are they serious?! How many cats would do this?! The last thing I would be worrying about is my cat swallowing a Coles Stickeez

    Reply


  • The stickez are way too small. I got some with my groceries but got rid of them from my house because I didn’t want my baby getting a hold of them

    Reply


  • I dont understand the craze with these. They are aimed at kids obviously but a choking hazard for many of them? Now the pets as well! Not for me thanks !

    Reply


  • They are so soft that I can imagine they attract animals. And indeed they don’t stick and they constantly fall on the floor.

    Reply


  • Carrots seem to be extra popular with cats I wonder why they are particularly enticing.

    Reply


  • Shouldn’t be too long now and this craze will all be forgotten. Hope coles is helping out with vet bills.

    Reply


  • I’m sorry, I just don’t understand these ‘mini’ crazes. Just more plastic waste.

    Reply


  • Mine was on the fridge and they do fall off,any pet would pick it up!

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join