Children’s Health Queensland & Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital have shared an important warning to parents about the dangers of using old blankets out of storage.

Posting on their Facebook page they have warned parents about the dangers of naphthalene.

“If the cooler nights have you digging blankets and winter clothes out of storage for your baby, please avoid anything that has been stored with naphthalene (mothballs or flakes).

Babies, particularly those less than six weeks of age, should not wear clothes or sleep in bedding stored with naphthalene because it can cause severe poisoning just through skin contact.


MoM_A2_625x130

Naphthalene is absorbed easily through the skin, especially in young babies. Babies less than six weeks of age are very sensitive to even small amounts because they cannot metabolise it. This means they can become very sick and take a long time to recover.

The Queensland Poisons Information Centre does not recommend the use of naphthalene products as a moth repellent in baby clothes or bedding. Even washing clothing or blankets with soap or detergent and water does not remove all traces of naphthalene, so it’s best to just avoid it altogether.”

For poisoning advice 24 hours, 7 days a week, call the Queensland Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26.

in article banner_all about baby_750x150_special feature

Ewww I remember that smell as a child. I have never used them at all myself though. Do you?

Share your comments below

Via Facebook


in article banner inghams lemon pesto chicken 750x150


  • That certainly is good advice.

    Reply


  • Thanks for the warning,good to know and share!

    Reply


  • My parents never used them so neither have I. We do get the odd moth eaten blanket though.

    Reply


  • I remember hearing this before – its not something I’ve ever used, though.

    Reply


  • Ive never used it at all – can’t stand the smell! But this is a good reminder/warning for all parents and grandparents out there

    Reply


  • I also never bought naphthalene, but I remember my mother using it everywhere. Quite risky thus.

    Reply


  • Kids grow so quick, why would you even need to store their clothes or bedding? They grow out of it so fast, there shouldn’t be a need fir storage

    Reply


  • Never used when storing blankets.

    Reply


  • I hate moth balls and never use them. Cinnamon sticks and whole cloves work just as good in the case you have moths.
    And yes, always wash before use after storing or buying from the shop.

    Reply


  • Anything used by a baby or for a baby should be thoroughly washed prior to use, especially anything that has been stored with or without naphthalene. Err on the safe side here, parents.

    Reply


  • Wow didn’t know they can be dangerous. Don’t use them but good to know

    Reply


  • A great article to raise awareness of this possible hazard – I’m sure many people do not know this can happen. I have never used them thankfully!

    Reply


  • My mum used to use these but fortunately I don’t I hate the smell and how dangerous are they

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join