So the end of the school year is just around the corner. Our kids are about to finish another year and the most important person in their lives at school is about to take a well-deserved break. So what do you buy for the teachers?

Teachers.

As parents we often ask  – how do they do it?

Coordinating a group of kids day in day out, following a school curriculum and managing to inspire so many different personalities, teaching them to think for themselves and helping them to understand the world around them is no easy task I am sure!

As a mum of three primary school kids, when we reach the end of the year, I like to consider what can we give to the teachers in our lives as a thank you for their time, encouragement and perseverance through out the year.

What do they want, what will they appreciate, what sort of gift conveys thoughtfulness and respect?

I figure that as teachers have so many students year in year out they are not going to remember what you gave them. Flowers die, chocolates and sweet stuff they probably won’t eat, you can only cope with so many knick knacks in your house and personal home made gifts are thoughtful but are they really going to keep them?

I asked a teacher friend recently who has received many chocolates, candles and flowers but she suggests something useful works best for her, not too personal, and a nice heartfelt message is what tops it off.

For me, pooling money together as a class makes more sense as the total sum means a substantial gift. It also means one less thing on our ‘to do’ list during the busiest time of the year.

A group gift still requires some thought.

What larger gift is best to give? Unless you know your teacher well and what past-times she or he has, it’s best to let them buy what they need. A gift card from a local store that offers a variety of options is a practical gift. They can spend at their own leisure on something they need or want. It’s a ‘play it safe’ option but it makes sense.

Don’t forget to add that personal touch that makes a gift special

For teachers, this means messages from their students. Let the kids type or hand write a note for their teacher.  Ask them to show the teacher why they enjoyed being in their class. They might like to recall a memorable event that happened or just tell them why they are special. Even if they aren’t a favourite teacher encourage them to be positive and respectful.

Whether you opt to pool funds or do it yourself, I believe it doesn’t matter how much you spend (or even if you don’t spend anything at all) as the most treasured gift are words of thanks and appreciation.

If it’s the one thing you do for the end of the school year – get the kids to write a thank you for their teacher!

For me, the perfect combination is a group present of a gift card and that personal touch.

What about you? What do you do for your kids teachers? How do you manage teacher gift giving?

Shine_in-article-banner-2

• i think when child do their self it s more nice

• thanks for great tips and information …

• Bath set or beauty set one of the gift baskets you can buy at xmas time. Maybe a cheap gift card.

• Homemade gifts made by the kids are great and can look really nice if it has been packaged nicely as well.

• I was class mum and got every child to do an A5 sheet for the teacher. They could draw, write, put stickers on, cover it in glitter etc what ever they wanted and I got it bound and added some photos of the kids in the class from outings, sports days etc and she loved it.

• I tend to give my kids teachers bath/beauty sets, especially from the Avon range of products.

• If nobody organises a group present then i always give a hand made card from my child and a really nice box of biscuits or chocolates. And remember if you are organising a group present be reasonable, i was asked to make a $50 donation towards the gift, which i had to pass on.

• As a primary school teacher I’ve had loads of gifts at the end of the year – many of which I still (13 years on) remember who they are from. Others, my mind goes blank. But I do love and treasure the lovely notes and cards thanking me for the year with them (or from their patents thanking me for the year with their child). I have a box of those most treasured cards. My all time favourite gifts were end of 2011 when I went on maternity leave a couple of weeks before the end of the school year – when my unborn baby boy was showered with the most wonderful gifts from student, parents and staff member.

• My mum has been a teacher for over 20 years now. Every Christmas she’ll show me the cards the kids have given her and and tell me all about each child who has written in a card for her. Then she’ll show me the presents and tell me about the mums and dads who gave them to her. I don’t think it matters to her what she receives, its honestly the thought that counts.

• We had a tough year last year as my daughters class was given a new teacher in the last 2 months of the year, and so they barely got to know her, but it still would not have been right not to give her anything for the short time she spent with the class, we gave her a hand moisturizer and hand wash set.

• Our teachers do such an amazing job with our kids each year and this is the one time that we can all get together to let them know just how much we appreciate it. I think a group prezzie is the best way to do this, it means the teacher will get one present that they will cherish rather than over twenty little gifts that probably will never use. I know my daughter is busy working on her own little card to give to her teacher, while I have set up a GroupPrezzie, in my mind this way the teacher is getting the best of both worlds.

• So tricky to know what to give teachers! I agree a group gift card is easy and a appreciated as they can choose something they want or need rather than getting things they don’t know what to do with!