Grandparents fear today’s children are doomed!

A majority of grandparents surveyed in The Australian Seniors Series: Raising Modern Australia believe children are doomed because of modern parenting styles, with 81 per cent fearing for the future happiness of their grandchildren.

The survey of 1000 grandparents also found nearly three in five believe parenting styles have become somewhat or considerably worse since they were raising children, shared Illawarra mercury.

More than half believe their grandchildren will be much less capable, self-sufficient, resilient, disciplined and have much less moral character.

“They also believe their grandchildren will be negatively impacted by the praise and reward-inspired culture that exists today,” the survey said.

The survey also found parents believe grandparents waved off concerns about dietary requirements and personal safety for children too easily.

When Lynette Honeysett was a child in the 1960s, discipline was swift and sometimes harsh.

“We got smacked with a wooden spoon if we were naughty, and it happened on a regular basis,” she said. “I can remember copping quite a few hidings.”

Ms Honeysett said she believed parents paid too much attention to their smartphones when they were with their children: “It’s a particular bugbear of mine. I say to Joel ‘Get off your phone’.”

She also said we need to avoid helicopter parenting.

“Let her run, fall over,” she said. “If she breaks an arm, she’s going to learn a lesson that way.”

However Dr Justin Coulson is concerned that the ongoing attitude of  “well I turned out okay“ is really not helping.

“We think we turned out okay because we don’t know how we might have turned out had things been different.

“Do you really think that being yelled at or hit with a wooden spoon is going to create better people? I don’t. My feeling is that more kindness will lead to so many improved outcomes for our children. There is so much pain in the world. Better parenting can reduce that pain.”

Share your comments below.

Shutterstock photo

• I believe it’s all relative to the era and the particular challenges faced in that era, time and space. We certainly have different challenges today than in time gone by; the internet and social media is a prime example of that.

• One can become a helicopter parent tpp quickly. There is something to be said for grandparents building resilience into children, Yes times have changed but the wisdom of grandparents will always be there if needed.

• Grandparents in general don’t understand how the changed world impacts on parenting.

• The world has changed. Can’t let the kids go outside and ride bikes up and down the street anymore it’s too unsafe. Technology is taking over the world.

• In my idea a lot of kids nowadays spend too much time online and I don’t find that a good thing.
    On the other side parents are more aware of kids’ rights and, luckily, hitting kids and punish them is not considered a way to go. Sadly it happened too often in the past.

• Parenting and the way we are bringing up our children has changed so much so soon. It must be really hard for the older generation to see this huge change and it must be worrying for them however unfortunately this is the way of the future. Technology is a way of life now and it is only going to keep on improving from here.

• So many times my mother says to me I wouldn’t of let you get away with that when you were younger, or I didn’t do that! And as much as I love her guidance and opinion I don’t think she realises it’s a very different world now to when we grew up! I’d love to be able to let my kids go ride their bikes around town til sun goes down but we just can’t do that! So many things have changed that our parenting has had to also! Don’t get me wrong some things she says make a lot of sense and sometimes I do find myself doing exactly what she said, I wouldn’t tell her that though haha!

• We live in a different era indeed. I don’t believe in the wooden spoon or spanking our children either. But I do agree that many children now a days get too much of what they want, and are less capable, self-sufficient and resilient.

• I agree with the smartphones

• Haha grandparents always have their way of doing things yet always want to spoil their grandkids. So really they aren’t raising them the same way they raised their kids

• We still try to use the same habits my grandparents instilled on us, but keeping in mind that today’s world is a different place. For better or worse with technology and advancements, not everything can stay the same

• good read we can learn from the grand parents

• It’s a different era now and fact is, life is different, what we have is different as well as technology. It’s just a different life and thus parenting evolves too

• As an older mum I have noticed the differences in how children are being brought up. My children range from 37 to 6 and I have a 5 year old grand daughter. The way I brought up my older three is different to how my younger three are being brought up. My grand daughter has more freedom in what she wants and is allowed to watch a lot of screen time. My own younger children twin six year olds up bringing is different to their niece. I expect my lot to help with chores and to have outside time. They also have a less screen time then their niece. I do admit times are changing and there seems to be more dangers around then there were when I was younger. I was walking myself to school at five, yet was still walking my older children when they were older. It is hard to know what we are doing is right or wrong, only time will tell.

• I don’t believe in using a wooden spoon or belting children but I do believe in letting them play and learning what their limits are and am happy to see them walk to school by themselves instead being dropped there by the parents. They have to learn self-sufficiency and resilience and they don’t when they have helicopter parents. Amazingly children in a single parent household learn these things because their one parent has to work and cannot be in two places at once.