We arrived at the lovely bushland caravan park, excited about our weekend away. A time to relax with extended family and for my kids to have their annual try at water-skiing.

Sitting by the open fire, it was so relaxing – the kids were toasting marshmallows and the adults sitting back enjoying a drink.

The stars were shining bright and we were all feeling good – until our neighbours started getting louder…. and louder, their conversation dotted with profanities.

Now, I am not a prude and have been known to occasionally drop the F-bomb, but this was unreal. And as we made our way to bed, we were forced to lie there and listen to it invade our space.

The next night was even worse, as more had joined the group.

The conversation was louder, the swearing worse and some of the subjects discussed extremely loudly were not fit for public consumption.

So, as I lay there stewing, unable to sleep, it got me thinking about how other holidaymakers can ruin your holiday enjoyment.

Take my friend who escapes every year to a secluded beachside location with her two young children. Usually a family environment, she was stunned this year to realise there were teenagers playing sex games in a public area.

“It’s the first time there has ever been anything like this,” she said to me.

In this instance, the park managers stepped in and the group were removed from the park.

Smoked Out

Then there is another friend, whose holiday last year to a Gold Coast resort was ruined by another family whose smoking on the unit balcony below left them unable to enjoy their own balcony.

My friend asked to be moved to another unit, which could not be accommodated. So, management spoke to the smokers, asking them to be a bit more understanding. Instead, they took affront to the impingement on their right to smoke on their balcony.

The result is that they upped the ante – as my friend realised when she saw them leaving burning cigarettes in ashtrays on their balcony. Not to smoke, but to create smoke!

Kids Gone Wild

Then there are the parents who let their children run riot – like when I was in a pool in a resort complex, watching as two mums sat back drinking chatting, leaving their toddler in the care of older children who were constantly dive-bombing, basically on top of me and my kids.

That’s not to mention the pungent smell that started coming from the toddler…..gross. And don’t even get me started on the people who can’t clean up after themselves in shared bathrooms.

We all want to enjoy our holidays.

So it is frustrating that some people don’t seem to think or care about how their actions and behaviours might impact on others.

I don’t have the answers, except to hope such incidents remain few and far between for you and me.

Have you had a holiday negatively impacted on by other people?

Image from Shutterstock

Biostime

• Unfortunately when you are in close proximity to so many people who are on ‘holidays’ some people also give their manners and consideration a rest!

• Yes, unfortunately there’s always some minority that want to spoil everyone else’s evening, let alone holiday. Just report to management and hope something happens.

• Camp sites nearly always have people that are drunk or too loud music :(

• yeah it’s just common decency and respect for others

• yep also just basic courtesy to clean up after yourself. i know that you are having fun but the person that comes after you is having fun as well and doesn’t want to deal with your mess before they can start on their own dinner, shower etc. respect needs to be given to others around you and everyone will be happier.

• Thanks for this article which brings back a memory of one horrid camping trip where the fellow campers made camping unbearable for everyone. I think they met every category in your article!! They were not moved on and we packed up and left and gave the park our reasons and vowed never to return to that park. Park managers must enforce park rules for all happy campers!

• We moved to another park that respected all campers and enforced the rules and we had a wonderful stay.

• I’m sorry but respect for others has not been instilled in some generations and unfortunately we the family holiday makers are made to suffer for it

• I would really hate that good story

• No not at this stage. However when we were over in China on holiday we were put in a non smoking room. The smell of smokers attacked my nostrils post haste! I told our lovely tour group leader and she said it would be fixed. They could not give us another room but they came and fumigated it and that did the trick. It made a big difference and hubby and I were very grateful to the hotel staff. You have to bear in mind that heaps and heaps of people smoke in China!

• Very interesting article. Thank you for such useful information.

• I completely understand this, obviously they are on holiday too, but is it so hard to be considerate of the people around you?

• some people are so unaware of respect for others.

• Thankfully have not had any negativity during holidays, how awful to have planned ahead and then someone/or something ruins the whole holiday :(

• I think that smokers should have a separate area to smoke as they are always tell the non smokers “it’s our choice to smoke” yeah and it’s our choice not to have to breath in your second hand smoke.
    Thanks for sharing I love going camping we have brought a camper trailer ready for this summer :)

• I understand your feeling! Photo on canvas

• some people just are inconsiderate to others