An Australian mother-of-two has warned parents of a rash that if left untreated could cause permanent damage to your child’s heart or even death.

Bindy Scott found out the hard way that the rash on her toddler Tommy’s body was more than just a viral infection.

Sharing painful photos of his chest, arms and back on her website, Mrs Scott, who is based in Queensland, explained how the unusual redness turned out to be a far greater danger to her little boy’s health than first thought, shares Daily Mail.

In October at their daughter’s birthday party, 22-month-old Tommy woke up a little bit ‘off’, with Mrs Scott describing him as a ‘bit grumbly and clingy’.

‘That afternoon he started getting lethargic and that night was dreadful. He was awake screaming and had a 38C fever.

‘Sunday morning when we woke up he had a rash on his tummy. By the time we had finished breakfast and we changed his nappy again it had spread to his back. So off to the hospital emergency department we went.’

The doctor assumed it was a viral disease like hand, foot and mouth, but when the rash spread even further – and the family rushed back to the hospital – they guessed it might actually be an allergic reaction or scarlet fever.

Tommy’s symptoms continued to snowball: He began vomiting and had diarrhoea alongside the raging red rash that wouldn’t subside.

On their third trip to the ER Tommy had a blood test and a cannula inserted to rebuild his lost fluids.

‘They ran many tests; blood cultures, x-ray and from memory I think they started a broad spectrum antibiotic,’ Mrs Scott said.

He was even transferred to another hospital as doctors scrambled to diagnose the 22-month-old.

‘Wednesday was a rough day of more tests and this was the day he started to swell up. His little body went puffy, his hands and feet were like little balloons and his eyelids were so swollen.’

A paediatrician asked on Thursday evening whether Mrs Scott had heard of Kawasaki disease.

The diagnosis

‘I hadn’t. She and the doctors she had been speaking to believed this is what he had, unfortunately there is no test for this disease – just ruling out other possible problems and that’s what we had been doing,’ she explained.

They decided to treat him for Kawasaki using intravenous immunoglobulin – a solution of human plasma proteins – which was ‘not at all dangerous for him to have’.

‘Saturday he did seem to pick up, he was more alert and playing. He was actually playing with toys,’ Mrs Scott said.

‘He ate more and just seemed brighter. We were so thankful that this treatment had seemed to work, if it hadn’t he would’ve had another round of it and if that failed, then he would receive a lumbar puncture – but thankfully we avoided that.’

Mrs Scott is sharing Tommy’s story before Kawasaki Awareness Day on January 26 in hopes other parents can be more aware of the symptoms.

‘I want to encourage you, that if your child is sick and you are given one diagnosis and then they worsen or change – go back,’ she explained.

‘Keep going back until the treatment works or you see improvement. You don’t have to accept one opinion. We are our children’s advocates. We have to fight for them.

‘I knew each time in myself when he needed to go back to the hospital and I didn’t care if it turned out to be nothing, I would prefer to be known as the overcautious mother than regret not taking him or leaving it too late.

‘If we had just agreed it was some viral thing and tried to ride it out over a week, I hate to think of what the outcome could’ve been.’

About the disease

Kawasaki disease, named after the Japanese pediatrician who discovered the condition, is an inflammation of the blood vessels.

The condition most often affects children under five years old.

It typically manifests itself by a body rash, fever that lasts at least five days, swollen lymph nodes, lips, tongue, feet and hands, and red eyes.

In most cases, the inflammation doesn’t have long-lasting consequences. But in certain cases, the coronary artery or the heart muscle are damaged.

Share your comments below

PERICOACH_Editorial_Drivers_In_Article_Banner_712x150


  • Fortunately the little fellow’s tongue didn’t swell any more as it could have blocked his airway.
    I know somebody who caught foot and mouth disease and was quarantined for over a week. He never got a rash on his back at all. He was told you never get it on your back.

    Reply


  • That is scary. Best to check it out if you are doubtful about little ones health.

    Reply


  • I’ve heard of it but didn’t know they couldn’t test for it.

    Reply


  • Yikes! I’d never heard of this one! Definitely get everything checked out!

    Reply


  • Oh goodness. If I see a sudden rash on my child, I am off to the doctor’s quick smart.

    Reply


  • I have never heard of this disease but agree, always go with your gut instinct. If you’re not happy or your child’s condition worsens, keep fighting for treatment and a diagnosis.

    Reply


  • My Nephew had Kawasaki disease. It really does hit hard and fast. Coincidentally his birthday is the same day as Kawasaki awareness day.

    Reply


  • That would bave been so scary for the parents

    Reply


  • Glad they finally found out what was wrong and got the right treatment

    Reply


  • It is terrible it took so long to find out what was wrong, but really do they know for sure if there is no test that matches up they just guess? I would be trying to find out what has caused it? Was he actually allergic to something whether it was food, chemical or plant? Certainly a rash can be a sign of your body trying to get rid of something bacterial and if your liver cannot do it your skin will try.

    Reply


  • Glad they got the right diagnosis and treatment in the end.

    Reply


  • Worrying when they don’t identify it straight away. What an ordeal

    Reply


  • Wow how scary but once there is a diagnosis you can beat it with knowledge

    Reply


  • It’s hard when you don’t know what you’re looking at and the Doctors tell you it’s fine.

    Reply


  • I would get any rash seen to asap if my child got one. I would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to his health !

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join