An Australian woman who serves her guests a cask wine that’s been poured into a more expensive glass bottle has divided the internet with her dishonest ‘hack’.

Her photo showed a bottle filled with wine alongside a box of Albertson’s Reverse along with an explanation the trick saved money and was perfect for those who ‘like a quaff of vino’.

wine hack

‘It’s a cheap cask of Aldi wine and an empty bottle of Temps (sic) Two filled with cheap Aldi wine. Pour it into a nice glass and you and whoever you are sharing it with won’t know the difference,’ the caption read on a Facebook roasts page.

‘I even had someone comment the other day what a nice drop it was. Presentation can make all the difference and save you a fortune.’

While many admitted to doing the same thing to save money, others mocked the idea and said it was both strange and dishonest.

‘This is like putting a Chris Hemsworth mask on your husband. Good idea in theory, but not even f*****g close to the real thing.’

Another said: ‘This reminds me of the disappointment I feel when I squirt an Aesop hand soap bottle and the smell is Palmolive antibacterial.

‘I sometimes do this with barbeque sauce, you know,’ a third said. ‘Buy the Homebrand 2L bottle and top up the Masterfoods squeeze top.’

‘Oh, this isn’t the normal thing to do? One person joked. ‘I thought the wine boxes were refills for the glass bottles.’

‘If you have to pretend around your friends or need to impress them.. you need new friends,’ another said.

‘If you are drinking with people who care how much you spend on your favourite wine then you are drinking with the wrong people.’

Would you do this? Share your comments below

Read more:

• I do not need to impress or pretend to anyone and this is not something I would be bothered with doing for a variety of reasons.

• Lol this is going to lengths

• I personally think this is ridiculous. If you don’t like it don’t drink it – don’t try and pass it off as something else.

• If you like the taste of the wine, then do what pleases you. But please don’t try to dress up cheap nasty wine. Whether it comes from a bottle or a bag, makes no difference it’ll still taste horrible. If my guest don’t like the alcohol (if any) I serve, that’s fine, but I’m going to buy what I like and trust me it’s a moderate priced one.

• Never with wine but some other things. The family can get fussy about somethings and most times do not notice the difference.

• Haha. I’ve had friends who would expect the fancy wine and give “the look” if I bought out a box. We’re not really friends anymore. I’ll stick to the box people. Too old to try to impress anyone.

• I am way too lazy for this. If you think you are too good for the wine I drink then bring your own. Simple.

• I think that’s really clever. I wouldn’t be sharing the tip around, keep it to yourself and serve it up :)

• I do it with sauce but havnt heard it being done with alcohol.

• Haha I don’t actually think I could be bothered. It’s bad enough filling up my small oil container from the big one.

• I have heard of this being done with food to fussy families who wouldn’t eat “homebrand” things, but never with wine! If they don’t like the wine she serves, they should bring their own or just don’t drink it! It just goes to show though how some people who go on about wines actually have no idea in a blind tasting lol

• that’s thefirst time i’ve heard something like that ..specially with wine!