Women are in shock after discovering a panty liner with the words “sexy and sensual” on the packaging.

Charity organisation, Share the Dignity, who is doing their bit to end period poverty, shared an image of the panty liners on their Facebook page asking other women what they thought about the packaging.

“So a girlfriend of mine bought these liners for her 8 year old daughter who just got her period.

“Hmmmmm the words “sexy and sensual” just don’t seem appropriate to be on a pad… what do you think should be on there? #sharethedignity #periods”

Their post has attracted nearly 800 comments and over 1000 reactions. People soon shared their thoughts and some absolute fantastic suggestion as to what should be on the packaging instead.

“I’m 31 & was still horrified when I saw this on mine.”

“What is sexy and sensual about bleeding once a month. Who ever thought of that might need a mental assessment.”

“OMG there is nothing sexy and sensual about sanitary products!”

“Basic instructions, face this way, don’t flush, be brave, it’s nothing chocolate can’t fix.”

“Info on cervical screening as the recommendations have changed . Maybe info on HPV vaccination. A reminder to check your boobs too & how. Domestic Violence helpline info.”

“Wow…nope
How about –
You got this
You are beautiful
Your are brave smart …..
You stuff young girls kinda need to.hear
Or how bout random joke or magic eye puzzles
Absolutely any thing but this !!”

“I’d love to see these products have useful facts about Endometriosis, Adenomyosis & PCOS – and ALL other gynecological issues, so that women can be informed & educated, especially as they sit there changing their pad for the 10th time that afternoon thinking “is this normal??”

Share your comments below

• It’s meant to be a confidence boosting statement for women when they feel the least confident. Maybe sexy and sensual aren’t the kind of things you really want to see on a pad but seriously, people need to chill out a little bit. I would personally love to see a period related joke on the packaging haha.

• What a joke thinking having your period is sexy and sensual, only a man could have thought up such a thing because how could they possibly know how it feels to have a period each month. Packaging of these products needs to be done by women with better information and not smutty words like these.

• I have no issue with the statements, might be a nice pick me up when your feeling crap

• Being a woman is never easy especially at that time o the month.

• Totally inappropriate even for someone older, how many women feel sexy when they get their periods? Wow 8 years old is so young to get it too, is this normal these days?

• If people actually looked at the packaging they’d realise it’s not calling the pad ‘sexy and sensual’ it’s pretty much saying it to you because who feels that way while on their period? Probably a very small amount of women.
    Yes, it’s a little weird if a young girl sees it but most of the women complaining are older and the company obviously didn’t mean for it to be offensive.
    Not sure what’s so offensive about the word sexy apparently some people are offended by little things.

• Any of the other messages would be great – just not Sexy & Sensual.

• Definitely a strange thing to have on the packet. I love some of the alternative suggestions though.

• I just like reading the interesting facts on my packets lol
    I don;t think these are very suitable and don’t see anything sexy or sensual about a period!

• Kind of weird to put on a pad. I always liked the interesting facts that were put on the Libra Pads. I think health information is a great idea. I fear putting domestic violence information on them as I can see abusive partners refusing to allow their partner to use pads for fear of them having access to domestic violence information.

• I think the suggestion of information on medical things like reminder and how to do a breast check or something useful or even a joke to brighten up your day but not sexy and sensual.

• This is hilarious. I actually probably wouldn’t have noticed as I don’t really read the packaging on those things. I guess we can’t take everything in life too seriously.

• Not appropriate indeed !

• It’s strange wording for a sanitary product especially for kids. I wouldn’t want to read that during my cycle. Some of the ideas people have put forward are great and maybe the marketing team could adopt a few of these.

• strange to have this