A warning issued by authorities this week will have people re-thinking that visit to the local pool!

NSW Health released a public health warning about the spread of cryptosporidiosis in swimming pools following a spate of reported cases, shares 9 news.

The disease is caused by a chlorine-resistant parasite and spread by people who have recently had diarrhoea.

“It is important that people affected by diarrhoea avoid swimming for two weeks after their symptoms are resolved to avoid contaminating pools and spreading the infection,” the warning said.

700x150 mom xmas comp in article banner

“Case reports tend to peak between November and March, with the highest monthly notifications in the past five years in March 2017 with 325 cases.

“Symptoms include lots of diarrhoea, stomach cramps, nausea and sometimes vomiting or fever. There is no specific treatment for the condition and symptoms may last a few weeks.”

Doctor Jeremy McAnulty, the director of health protection at NSW Health, said in a statement that people of all ages should be on the lookout for symptoms.

“Cryptosporidiosis is easily spread from person to person in pools, splash parks, interactive fountains, spas or jacuzzis,” he said.

“We usually see cases increase over summer and there have been plenty of outbreaks caused by contaminated swimming pools.

“If an infected person gets into a pool and another swimmer swallows even a small amount of pool water, they can get infected and will start experiencing diarrhoea a few days later.”

Share your comments below



in article banner sproket article (1)


  • Go swim at the beach

    Reply


  • Another reason for me not to use the local pool

    Reply


  • Ew! I don’t use pools a lot because I hate to think what’s living in them!

    Reply


  • I prefer not to use public pools as you never know what is in the water. You are meant to shower before entering the pool , many do not do this.

    Reply


  • I have never heard of this virus and it makes me feel ill. How many times do you see kids at the local pool gulping the water especially the little ones. I had a friend who’s son had a rear end explosion at a pool once during swimming lessons and they had to close the pool down! Yuk!

    Reply


  • people are interested in their ow entertainment not the health of others sadly

    Reply


  • My husband used to run our local pools and safe to say the things I’ve heard from him about what he finds keeps us out of there.

    Reply


  • Oh gross. I’m never stepping foot in a public pool again. That just made me queasy reading it.

    Reply


  • This just puts me off of ever wanting to visit a pool again. I think I’ll stick to the wading pool in the back yard

    Reply


  • Oh dear definitely not taking kids to pools

    Reply


  • Aw gross, the idea what’s all in that water is really disgusting !

    Reply


  • Yuk. Pools can be gross, unfortunately.

    Reply


  • My niece kept getting ear infections, so her parents cancelled her lessons

    Reply


  • I have never heard of this before!

    Reply


  • It sounds horrible after reading this!

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join