December 14, 2017

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reported there is an estimated annual average of 210 home structure fires that begin with Christmas trees.

Analysis also shows that although the number of Christmas tree fires is low, these fires represent a higher level of hazard.

On average, 1 of every 9 Christmas tree fires resulted in a fatality compared to an average of one death per 75 non-confined home structure fires overall. Further, 49% of Christmas tree fires spread beyond the room of origin.

The fires that spread beyond the room of origin caused 94 % of the associated fatalities.

pharmacy-survey-in-750_150_in_article-banner

A dry Scotch Pine Tree takes less than nine seconds to become fully involved in flames.  It is important to keep your tree watered to prevent this danger.

Watch for yourself below…

Just last week faulty Christmas lights were to blame for a house fire in Tasmania.

“The occupants of this property were lucky to escape,” Tasmania Fire Service regional fire investigator Anthony Goss said.

“We believe the fire was caused by a failure of the small connection box on a Christmas lights set which has caused it to heat up and catch fire.”

Please be safe this Christmas!

NSW fire service recommend the following safety tips:

  • When setting up fairy lights and other electrical displays use only one item per power socket and don’t overload power boards or piggy back double adaptors.
  • For maximum safety if you use a power board, ensure it has both overload protection and earth leakage protection devices incorporated.
  • Only use decorative lights that have an Australian Standards label and follow manufacturer’s instructions on setting up and operating.
  • Check lights and electronic decorations for faults, worn plugs and frayed cords.
  • Inspect the plugs and leads of used decorative lights to ensure they are in good working order. If in doubt, replace the lights.
  • Decorative lights may become very hot so keep away from children and flammable materials such as wrapping paper, decorations or curtains and don’t leave burning candles unattended.
  • Candles should be used in a safe position away from Christmas Trees or other flammable material and out of reach of children. Extinguish them if you leave the room and always before going to bed.
  • Switch off all electrical displays and decorative lights before going to bed.
  • Make sure you have a sufficient number of working smoke alarms throughout your home that are tested regularly and are supported by a written home escape plan in case of fire.

Just this week Fair Trading have discovered some Christmas decorations that could electrocute you or even set your house alight. Read more HERE.

Sadly a Coroner found the fire that killed chef Matt Golinski’s wife and daughters in 2011, started near the Christmas tree. Read more HERE.

Share your comments below.

 

Poise_Banner_750x150

  • We always supervise lights – in the room when the lights are on.

    Reply


  • It surprises me how many people still have “real” trees which can so easily catch fire even if they still appear to be green but a lighter colour…..and leave the lights on for hours. It’s advisable to turn them off briefly to let them cool down before putting them on again.

    Reply


  • certainly that is why you spend the money on good quality items

    Reply


  • Very timely warning – we don’t have lights on our tree.

    Reply


  • We don’t use Christmas lights. I’ve always worried about them being a fire danger.

    Reply


  • We’re renovating and this is our tree this year. No losing sleep over tree issues in this house!

    Reply


  • We’ve not had a Xmas tree in many years, but when we had them we never added lights wires or candles.

    Reply


  • These images are really scary considering that most households have a Christmas tree.

    Reply


  • Such a scary time, we have only had our lights on once since the tree went up, and ours is fake!!

    Reply


  • The main reason I don’t have either a real tree or lights! So scary!

    Reply


  • Very risky indeed. Never leave the lights on if you are not in the same room.


    • Exactly – this is what we do for Christmas tree light safety.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join